I have installed debian, what should I do next?

Hi,
I have successfully installed debian in an LC475. What I have done is (i guess) a minimal install (i just downloaded the base2_1.tgz and the install.sit.hqx from the ftp site).

Now what should i do next? Will i get a much better performance if i use X-terminal, so the lc475 can make use of a faster PC? (I also have a PC installed with Redhat)

If so, which files should I downloaded at least?  and the steps? I guess the fewer the files, the better....

Also, i have some problems with the lc475, i tried ping and ftp, but no response from the machine, how can i check and edit the settings?

The lan in my company uses a 56K dialup, all the machines get an ip from an ipsharer. I have set the gateway to the ip of the ipsharer, and the DNS to the isp's domain name server. Are these settings correct?

Thank you.

Bats