Re: Mounting CD-ROM (newbie)

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 01:35:27PM -0800, david ellison wrote:

> Although my Debian dist has never as of yet. Being able to detect my CD-ROM.
>
> My setup:
>
> Amiga 030/50, 16mb fast.. Aga, 1x 3.2GB and 24x CDrom.. the atapi devices
A1200?
> are attached through a buffered device.. Although I can see why Debian may
"buffered device"? what is that, name, vendor?
> not be able to see them.. Although if poor old amiga OS without any extra
> software can @ least see the new channels.. then I dont see why Debian
> cant.. it may not be the factor.. but perhaps its the right one.. any
> ideas..
If there is no kernel driver, debian can not see it... I am using a
Catweasel IDE controller, works neat under AOS, but it did not work with
linux until support for it was added in the kernel source. AFAIR only the
internal IDE controllers of the A1k2 and A4k plus catweasel/budda are
supported, but see the linux-m68k webpage for supported hardware. With
buffered you mean some kind of IDE doubler? No idea if thats supported, but
if its not explicitely mentioned, I would not think it works... maybe it
uses a ROM to work under AOS, but linux needs its own drivers. Ask the
linux-m68k list for kernel questions, this is not a problem with debian.

> Also is it possible to access the pcmcia port.. sine cardmgr seems to be
> missing?!
I recently installed debian/potato on a notebook, works neat with PCMCIA.
But it seems, that the kernel supports PCMCIA only from 2.3.x onwards and
there is a patched 2.2.x kernel for the debian install. The amiga 2.0.36
kernel image definitely contains no PCMCIA support, my A2k contains no
PCMCIA ports, so I never much cared for it. In fact I never tried to use it
till last week, when I set up the notebook of a friend.
When you have installed linux, you can try to build your own 2.3 kernels,
maybe you can get PCMCIA going then.
--
Christian