Re: Mounting CD-ROM (newbie)

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 09:18:31PM -0500, Rick Todd wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian on a Mac IIfx. I have successfully installed
> the base system. I don't know how to install packages off the CD-ROM. How
> do you create a mount point? What is a mount point. And/or, what is a block
> device name (comes up in dselect when I say cd-rom as access)?
man mount
man fstab

On a debian system the mountpoint (/cdrom) should allready be existing on
your system, if not, create it (as root) with mkdir /cdrom.
You can give it any name you want, but cdrom is commonly used.
The device depends on the type of the CD-ROM, on SCSI systems its probably
/dev/scd0, on IDE it may be /dev/hdc, but isnt that entered in your fstab
automatically when you install from CD?
Look at the boot messages to find where your CD-R is (dmesg|less):
[...]
hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6502B, ATAPI CDROM drive
^^^
hdd: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1212, ATAPI CDROM drive
^^^

If its correctly entered in your fstab, root (or maybe all users) can mount
the cd with "mount /cdrom".
My /etc/fstab (for CD-R type only) looks like this:

# SCSI CD-R, can also be used as CD-ROM
/dev/scd0       /cdr            iso9660 ro,noauto,user          0       0
# ATAPI CD-ROM
/dev/hdc        /cd             iso9660 ro,noauto,user          0       0
# same device, but dont use rockridge extensions. Some DOS CDs look better with that...
/dev/hdc        /cdrom          iso9660 ro,noauto,user,norock   0       0
# ATAPI DVD with and without rockridge used as CD-ROM
/dev/hdd        /cd2            iso9660 ro,noauto,user          0       0
/dev/hdd        /cdrom2         iso9660 ro,noauto,user,norock   0       0
# and used as DVD-ROM with the udf filesystem
/dev/hdd        /dvd            udf     ro,noauto,user          0       0

So you can be very flexible with fstab, enter it there once and forget about
the details later :-)
The options:

ro 	mount read-only, if you leave it out, youll get a warning message
	that the CD is mounted read only everytime you mount it
noauto	dont mount the device during boot (automatically)
user	allow all users to mount CDs

but better read the fstab manpage for exact info, there are more tricks
possible, especially for misburned (DOS) CD-Rs which only allow root to read
the CD...
Plus read a book about Unix/Linux, it will help you to learn a lot. If you
want to read online, try the CDROM-HOWTO, its in the doc-linux package or ie
at http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/ (plus many many more howtos...)

And maybe its also in the FAQ?

Christian
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz