Booting 2.2 kernel on an SE/30

Greetings:

I am trying to boot a 2.2 kernel on a Mac SE/30. I have no trouble
booting the vmlinux-2.0.36-990525.gz kernel but all attempts at a 2.2
kernel give the following results:

I get the penguin in the corner and the following text:

MacLinux

 vidaddr: FEEo8040
  _stext: 00001000
bootinfo: 00162000
cpuid: 00000000
 00000001 01560200 00000040 00000001

ABCFGHIJ

That's where it freezes. I've turned on all of the logging options but
I don't see any obvious problems there. These results are from the
vmlinux-mac.gz kernel posted here recently for testing, but I get
essentially the same results with vmlinux-2.2.10-19991015.gz and
vmlinux-2.3.18-19991001.gz.

Any suggestions?

-- Mark