Re: Test 2.2.10 kernel images/modules/etc. for Atari and Mac

> Tried it...system here is Quadra 650, 32M, which runs fine (including the
> onboard Sonic ethernet on 2.0.36 which you fixed up for me quite awhile
> ago...990330)...I'm still using Penguin 15 also...2.0.36 works fine for
> me and none of the later kernels that I've tried do, thats why I've kept
> it going...doesn't work on Q840AV however...

Please try Penguin-18 (Tony said it tries to disable the ethernet
interrupts before booting Linux).

> booting the new kernel fails to initialize the Sonic...network unreachable
> and the 1st attempt failed with..

Perhaps loading the macsonic.o module helps :-) Network adapters could be
built as modules in 2.2.10 so I just tried that.

> 8:14 attempt to access beyond end of device...
>
> had to use the power button on back to reset it...2nd attempt made it to
> the login prompt, but logging into root ended with..No Mail...and it hung
> there forever...crashed...no vt's accessible...the processor just stopped
> I suppose...

That sounds like the Sonic still had DMA descriptors active and was
happily receiving data from the net, trashing kernel memory. Might go away
with Penguin-18, and hopefully with loading the module which reinitializes
the Sonic properly.

Thanks for the test,