Re: Fwd: new install network problem

> Changing the <"don't disable VBL interrupts" option
> _off_> didn't help. I'm not keen on building a custom
> kernel at this point, but I guess I'll have to.

You could just go and test the 2.2.10 kernel I annnounced to the list
yesterday.

> Installing the base system with a newer kernel doesn't
> appear to be an option. I'm looking at the "Debian and

Why not? The only thing to watch out for: after the installer menu screen
has come up, switch to the second console screen (option-F2), hit <return>
to get a shell, type 'dbootstrap' (and <return> :-)) to start another
instance of the installer on the second console. That's the procedure for
all 2.1 and 2.2 (and probably 2.3 etc) kernels.

> the kernel" faq
> (http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/debian-faq-11.html#ss11.1).
> It lists some packages that need to be installed in
> order to build a kernel. Among them is 'bin86'. I

That's for _building_ kernels, not using precompiled ones instead of the
release kernel. Precompiled Mac kernels at ftp.mac.linux-m68k.org (now
that should be easy to remember).

The FAQ seems to have some funny notion about x86 being the only Linux
platform. Send a polite mail to the FAQ maintainer to educate him.