Unidentified subject!

Hello List,

I've recently installed Potato/unstable on my A1200/060 to gain some
experience with Debian prior to putting together a dual x86 cpu system
to run the next version of my 3D S/W on.  I've installed everything via
dselect, downloading from ftp mirrors and a couple of days ago I udated
the package list and ended up with version 2.1.5-2 of the menu package,
amongst others.  Since I installed this package, the update-menus
function produces a Segmentation Fault while processing the
'package'.postinst hooks/scripts/? called by dselect/dpkg when
installing/removing other software packages if they appear to have/use
menus (sounds reasonable).

If I remove the menu package then I'm able to install/config/remove
without errors.

Most of the window managers I've installed, to try out, are not at all
happy - fvwm95&GNOME is just about usable (GNOME ok & sizable windows),
and enlightenment is OK

I downloaded the "How to report a bug in Debian" doc - I have it in
front of me - but I'm not sure if this is a bug or a porting problem,
and if they should be treated differently.  I would imagine a seg fault
to be platform specific and therefore not a bug but a porting problem.

I've also looked at the FAQ list at www.debian.org and checked the bug
tracking list for menu bugs but found nothing that seemed relevent.

I have a backup of the previous -1Vn and will check the dpkg man and
attempt to re-install this, but I feel I should notify someone, but
who?

Also, I know there are several priorities of bug, but I couldn't find
anything that actually defined them.

Finally, is there any 'early-warning' mechanism to warn other users of
potential problems with new S/W versions, such as this, so they can be
prepared?  I've been looking into this for a few days now (couple of
hours each evening that is - I work during the day) to try to ensure it
wasn't something I did, being a newbie, but I suspected the problem was
with the new menu, and could have issued a warning the evening I
installed it.

 Bye,

LeeE

--