840 AV crash

I have noticed a completely reproducable and fatal bug on my 840 AV system running the default slink distribution. I log in and am presented with a (bash) shell prompt as expected.

With nothing else typed in at the prompt, ie. the line is empty, I press the backspace and the computer crashes! It's crazy!

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Is there a work around? Have I missed something during installation?

My second question has to do with replacing the "linux" kernel(the one on the MacOS side) that Penguin booter initially loads with one that is a little newer. How is that done? Do you just rename, say, an ordinary 2.2.10 to linux and point the booter to that kernel?

All help and suggestions much appreciated! :)