Re: New installation, newbie questions

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 11:59:26AM -0400, Sara Maene wrote:
>   it.  However, when Penguin boots, the screen output is squashed onto the
>   upper third of the screen, and is illegible.  Any hints on resolving this?
>   (I'm guessing that it's a matter of passing the right command-line
>   parameters in Penguin -- what would these be?)
>   Is there a more recent kernel that is known to be reliable on this
>   machine?

There are some issues with the hardware on the AV macs that necessitate
special treatment in the bootloader - I'm not sure why this problem didn't
affect the 2.0 kernel.  The next version of Penguin will have this fix - it
should be uploaded to ftp.mac.linux-m68k.org soon, but if you want a
prerelease, talk to Tony Mantler <eek@escape.ca>

BTW, 2.2.3pre1 is rather old.  Please try the latest 2.2.10 - that is the
kernel we will be using in potato, and we need to make an effort to find and
fix the more glaring bugs in it (it still should be considered experimental).

>   Fatal server error:
>   Can't handle packed pixels with 4 bits per pixel

It's a limitation of the X server.  As it says, it doesn't support 4 bits
per pixel (i.e. 16 color mode).  Switch into a different mode in MacOS
before booting.

--
You do{} stuff.  Then it's $done.  Then you die().