New installation, newbie questions

Hello all.  I've just installed Debian on a Quadra 660AV, and have a few
problems with the installation (slink).

1) The kernel provided with the installation is *wildly* unstable on this
  machine, it seems.  I've installed a new kernel from maclinux.com,
  vmlinux-2.2.3p1-19990413.gz (got this from a message in the list archives,
  http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-68k-9904/msg00032.html).
  I've put it in /boot (aliased to /vmlinuz), and Penguin is booting off of
  it.  However, when Penguin boots, the screen output is squashed onto the
  upper third of the screen, and is illegible.  Any hints on resolving this?
  (I'm guessing that it's a matter of passing the right command-line
  parameters in Penguin -- what would these be?)
  Is there a more recent kernel that is known to be reliable on this
  machine?

2) X is also providing problems.  I've hunted down and copied XF86Config
  into its usual place; now, when I startx,  all goes well, and then:

  (**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode
  (--) FBDev: Frame buffer device: Macintosh
  (--) FBDev: Video memory: 480K
  (--) FBDev: type 0 type_aux 0 bits_per_pixel 4
  (--) FBDev: No virtual desktop

  Fatal server error:
  Can't handle packed pixels with 4 bits per pixel

  I'm running xserver-fbdev.3.3.2.3-a11, from ftp.debian.org.
  Is this a problem that can be handled with a tweak of a config file,
  or do I need a new server?

This is all going on on a Quadra 660AV, with internal 1GB HD, CD and
floppy, with an Audiovision monitor.  I've looked through all the
documentation I could find at debian.org and other places, and haven't
yet found answers to these problems.

Thanks in advance.

-- S. Maene