Re: Updated glibc 2.1 packages

> Eeek, gcc 2.95.2 is broken with shlibs?

It was... The current version 2.95.2-0pre2.0.2 (NMUs by me) contains
three patches by Andreas Schwab.

> I hadn't seen anything on debian-toolchain about that

I mailed directly with the gcc maintainer...

> what exactly are the symptoms?

gcc sometimes forgot to save the pic register (%a5) if it changed it
in a function, and after the first patch sometimes didn't restore it
after it has been saved. The symptoms are SIGILL or SIGSEGV after
calling a function in the shared lib.

The third patch was in loop optimization and wasn't m68k specific.
However, it showed up only on m68k...

> These are compiled with egcs 1.1.2 - I'm rebuilding gcc 2.95.2
> against them in order to get a libstdc++2.10-glibc2.1 (I'll put
> these up soon too).

Then please use my 2.95.2-0pre2.0.2 source. Argl... it was a bin-only
upload :-( Matthias acked that because he was too lazy to make a new
gcc version for m68k only :-) But there's a bug report with the
patches I've applied (#46217).

> Oh, I guess I should rebuild ncurses and such too.

The most critical stuff when moving to glibc2.1 is (AFAICR) libstdc++,
ncurses, libreadline, libglib and libgtk. Look in the m68k-glibc2.1
dir on uni-erlangen.de what I had recompiled under glibc2.1

> If we go to glibc 2.1, how will the libstdc++ transition work? I
> didn't really pay much attention to it when it landed on i386...

That transition should be more or less automatic. Packages named
libstdc++-glibc2.1* should be built if everything works ok in the gcc
rules stuff... :-)

Roman