Re: Fwd: Re: m68k mac questions2

Hello Michael

On 01-Oct-99, you wrote:

>> Thanks,
>> You and Justin Azof say basically the same thing.
>> The mkdir did not work correctly it seems because it
>> simply created empty folders.

> No, that's perfectly OK. These empty 'folders' (directories in Unix
> parlance) are necessary, the mount command will make the content of the
> mounted filesystem appear in these previously empty directories. (You can
> also mount filesystems on non-empty directories, but the mounted
> filesystem content 'displaces' the previous directory content until you
> unmount the filesystem again)

>> however, hfs sda4 did succesfully mount, now I need to
>> dkpg -i and give it a file path - default is /usr?

Well.. I havent been following this. But I use ide partitions.. hd0-hd7. hd5
(root) and hd6 (swap).. I create 'folders' in the root (very top of the
sys).. called hd0, hd1 etc.

Then by using mount -t affs /dev/hda1 /hd1 I could mount my amiga devices..
this may help I dont know.

> Default is the current working directory, but you need to specify the path
> to the actual package files, i.e. /mnt/whereever/I/mounted/the/stuff/*

>> SHould I transfer the files to a minix/linux swap
>> first?

> Absolutely, but not to a swap partition, to a Linux ext2 partition please.

>> Also, embarrassingly,
>> I can not open text files, in the usr/doc/ and it

Or perhaps less /file/

> Try 'more', or 'vi'.

> And get a good Linux or Unix introductory book, read online Linux
> documentation, HOWTOs, etc.

Suggest Running Linux by Matt Welsh and Lar Kuafman, published by O'Reilly.
You can find it on Amazon.co.uk or com

DAve.