Re: Fwd: Re: m68k mac questions2

> Thanks,
> You and Justin Azof say basically the same thing.
> The mkdir did not work correctly it seems because it
> simply created empty folders.

No, that's perfectly OK. These empty 'folders' (directories in Unix
parlance) are necessary, the mount command will make the content of the
mounted filesystem appear in these previously empty directories. (You can
also mount filesystems on non-empty directories, but the mounted filesystem
content 'displaces' the previous directory content until you unmount the
filesystem again)

> however, hfs sda4 did succesfully mount, now I need to
> dkpg -i and give it a file path - default is /usr?

Default is the current working directory, but you need to specify the path
to the actual package files, i.e. /mnt/whereever/I/mounted/the/stuff/*

> SHould I transfer the files to a minix/linux swap
> first?

Absolutely, but not to a swap partition, to a Linux ext2 partition please.

> Also, embarrassingly,
> I can not open text files, in the usr/doc/ and it

Try 'more', or 'vi'.

And get a good Linux or Unix introductory book, read online Linux
documentation, HOWTOs, etc.