Re: SOLVED: Re: problem starting X on linux-m68k

Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > (**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)
> >

> > When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> > the full server output, not just the last messages
> >
> > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> >
> > ******
> >
> > Now the original problem I reported was that the slink version of the
> > XF68_FBDev X server would crash instead of reporting this error.

Probably because it didn't do a sanity check on the screen init result.
I'm  a bit confused why the X server attempts to set the screen parameters
for the default entry in the first place (I thought it would _read_ the
current screen parameters from the kernel and use that). What display
depth and x/y resolution does the kernel report on booting?

Christian: you have the X source; what system call does fbdevScreenInit
use to set the screen parameters?

> > I was able to edit XF86Config to get the x server to work (now both
> > startx and xdm are working for me).  The only change that was necessary
> > was changing the Depth of the default display from 1 to 8:

That's strange - I'd have thought the server crashes because it hits
unmapped screen memory somewhere. That would rather happen if the X server
uses 8 bit but the display depth is actually less. Seems the segfault was
due to a NULL pointer for the screeninfo instead (which was spotted by the
3.3.3 server). But Christian should be able to fill me in on the details.

> I have been able to build the latest xfree86-1 packages for the experimental
> glibc2.1 environment. Only some small glitches are left. For this version I
> think we should try to include XF86Config in the proper place, or fix the
> postinst to create the config file (again!?). Ill take any proposals for the
> XF86config file and on how we get it into the package.

I'd vote for creating it from the postinst, that's the most flexible
solution (keep existing config file if possible instead of overwriting it
from the package; check
existing config file to see if it is out of date, and move it out of the
way if it needs to be updated. Stuff that's done by xf86setup or
xf86config on other archs). Just copying the .eg file to /etc/X11
shouldn't be too hard.

Another job for the postinst: look for /dev/mouse, and create the
appropriate symlink to /dev/{amiga,atari,adb}mouse if it doesn't exist. I
think we can count on /proc being mounted at X install time :-) (Does gpm
do a similar thing and could interfere here? Is the X server install
allowed to tinker with /dev/mouse?)

Throw the X postinst my way and I might cook up the mouse stuff.