I will explain better my situation:
This is my .fetchmailrc file:

poll popmail.libero.it
protocol POP3
username rygar@libero.it
password *
keep
smtphost mail.libero.it

When I type fetchmail this is the output:

Fetchmail: Syntax error, command unrecognized
2 messages for rygar@libero.it at popmail.libero.it (8068 octets)
reading message 1 of 2 (3497 octets) . not flushed
reading message 2 of 2 (4571 octets) . not flushed

If I delete the smtphost entry in the .fetchmailrc file this is the output:

fetchmail: syntax error, command unrecognized

2 messages for rygar@libero.it at popmail.libero.it (8068 octets)

reading message 1 of 2 (3947 octets) .fetchmail smtp connect to localhost
failed: connection refused
fetchmail: smtp transaction error while fetching from popmail.libero.it
fetchmail: query status=10

Well I think that whit the smtphost entry, the program can read correctly the
messages.
I tried whit the verbose option (-v and -v -v) and I saw that it reads the
message on the pop3 server but I can't understand where it saves them on my
harddisk.

I tried to telnet to my localnet (127.0.0.1? it is right!?) but I can't do
anything because I can't connect to that IP address. I can use smail to send
messages, but I can't use it to receive them in my mailbox which is located in
the
directory /var/spool/smail/root

This is all I can tell you.
Thank you anyway for your collaboration,
Roberto.