Re: Need your input for keymap configuration

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 11:11:59PM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:
> Christian T. Steigies writes:
>  > Where does X get the information about the keyboard? Its not from
>  > the console tools, is it?
>
> Generated XF86Config use an Xkb definition.  If none is in XF86Config,
> I guess it uses /etc/X11/Xmodmap (that is, it uses the old mechanism
> instead of newer Xkb).

Generated XF86Config are not XFbdev friendly anyway, i guess no m68k or ppc
user uses them. Even the stupid XF86Config checker of xdm says my valid fbdev
XF86Config is bad, i had to hand remove them. Also notice that the standard
m68k/ppc fbdev XF86Config has the XKBDisable flag set, i think.

> Sven LUTHER writes:
>  > On the french keymap, the @ and # are mapped to the shifted * and - of the
>  > keypad, i think. I painted the corresponding symbols on said keys, and i
>  > worked fine since then.
>
> This does not work for me shift-* prints *, and shift-- reduces xterm
> font size :)
>
> I use in keyboard section:
>
>         XkbRules        "xfree86"
>         XkbModel        "pc102"
>         XkbLayout       "fr"
>         XkbOptions      "ctrl:nocaps"

Sure, i am using the amiga-fr kernel keymap. Works fine for both X an console.
every so often i have to hard reboot, because some stupid program suppose i
have a standard us i386 keymap, and set it to it. the kbd package should avoid
that, it's bad for harddisks, ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER