Re: SOLVED: Re: problem starting X on linux-m68k

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > > (**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode
> > >
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)
> > >

> > > When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> > > the full server output, not just the last messages
> > >
> > > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> > >
> > > ******
> > >
> > > Now the original problem I reported was that the slink version of the
> > > XF68_FBDev X server would crash instead of reporting this error.
>
> Probably because it didn't do a sanity check on the screen init result.
> I'm  a bit confused why the X server attempts to set the screen parameters
> for the default entry in the first place (I thought it would _read_ the
> current screen parameters from the kernel and use that). What display
> depth and x/y resolution does the kernel report on booting?

Here is the output from dmesg:

macfb: framebuffer at 0xf9000e00, mapped to 0x01800e00, size 507k
macfb: mode is 832x624x8, linelength=832
macfb: scrolling: redraw

The screen size and bit depth reported here are correct, so the kernel
seems to be detecting the display properly.

Mike

Mike Lockwood
work: lockwood@pixo.com                http://www.pixo.com
home: mike@voodoomonkey.com    http://www.voodoomonkey.com