SOLVED: Re: problem starting X on linux-m68k

In case anyone searching the archives has the same problem:

I upgraded my kernel to the latest 2.2.6 CVS snapshot, but that didn't
fix the problem.  Switching to the newer kernel did clear up a number of
console display problems though.

So I upgraded to the 3.3.3.1 XF68_FBDev from ftp.xfree86.org.  That X
server reported a configuration error instead of segfaulting.  It turned
out my XF86Config was misconfigured, but the X server that comes with
Slink crashes instead of reporting the error.

Now I am running X on my Quadra 700 at 8bpp at 832x624.  I have
WindowMaker installed so I am happy :-)

Thanks to the linux-m68k developers that made this possible.

Mike