Re: SOLVED: Re: problem starting X on linux-m68k

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> Mike Lockwood wrote:
> > I upgraded my kernel to the latest 2.2.6 CVS snapshot, but that didn't
> > fix the problem.  Switching to the newer kernel did clear up a number of
> > console display problems though.
> >
> > So I upgraded to the 3.3.3.1 XF68_FBDev from ftp.xfree86.org.  That X
> > server reported a configuration error instead of segfaulting.  It turned
> > out my XF86Config was misconfigured, but the X server that comes with
> > Slink crashes instead of reporting the error.
>
> What exactly is the configuration error you got?

I can't remember exactly, but it was something like "invalid mode" from
an fbXXX() call (I can't remember the function name).  The problem was
that my XF86Config did not have a mode defined for my 832x624 monitor.
I also had to edit XF86Config to add screen definitions for 8 bits per
pixel.

Anyway, this doesn't seem like a problem in the long term, because the
newer X server properly reported the configuration error to me instead
of crashing.

Mike