Problem with Installation

Hi!

This is my first mail to this list, so I hope I picked the right address
:)

I have recently tried to get a debian linux up and running, but I have
been unable to do so until now. I've set up UNIX systems at university, so
I am pretty much confident it's not my fault :)

Here's my setup and what happens:

I have an Amiga 2000 with a Blizzard2060 card. No external units are
connected, the internal chain looks like this:
UNIT 0 is a IBM DCAS-32160 2G drive
UNIT 2 is a Seagate Medalist 51080N 1G
UNIT 3 is a Sanyo CRD-254S SCSI CD-Rom drive
UNIT 4 is a Fujitsu M1606S-512 1G drive

The CD-Rom is terminated, and the units are connected in order 0,4,2,3.
I've tried installing on unit 2 and 4 so far, with no success. Here's what
happenes:

During installatin, in the initial boot from the Ram disk, I get as far as
the installation of the base system. When it queries me from where I want
to install, I tell it to fetch the data from /dev/cdrom, directory
/debian/install/common/, and it actually starts un-tarring it, but almost
always it fails with "an error has occured during installation".

I frequently get illegal instructions when I start program from the shell.
I once got as far as "dselect", but after choosing "install", there where
constant error.

Since nothing happens when I use Linux from the Ram disk, I suspect I have
a problem with my SCSI setup. I noticed that the errors got more frequent
when I installed on the Medalist.

Has anyone had such a problem already? I'm pretty much at my knowledge's
end, and I will soon have to give up... Not an appealing thought...

TIA, Hans-Joerg.

--
hfrieden@uni-trier.de  | "No one know the shape of that future or where it
Warp3D,ADescent, Abuse | will take us. We know only that it is always born