Re: Problem with Installation

Moin,
On Sun, 9 May 1999, Hans-Joerg Frieden wrote:

> I have an Amiga 2000 with a Blizzard2060 card. No external units are
Same here.
> connected, the internal chain looks like this:
> UNIT 0 is a IBM DCAS-32160 2G drive
IBM DPES 1080
> UNIT 2 is a Seagate Medalist 51080N 1G
external MOD
> UNIT 3 is a Sanyo CRD-254S SCSI CD-Rom drive
same here, same unit
> UNIT 4 is a Fujitsu M1606S-512 1G drive
nil

> The CD-Rom is terminated, and the units are connected in order 0,4,2,3.
terminated? Hmm, I have a terminator on the external MOD, which is probably
not needed. I dont remember that I have terminated anything internally,
maybe the CD-Rom

> During installatin, in the initial boot from the Ram disk, I get as far as
> the installation of the base system. When it queries me from where I want
> to install, I tell it to fetch the data from /dev/cdrom, directory
> /debian/install/common/, and it actually starts un-tarring it, but almost
> always it fails with "an error has occured during installation".
Hmm, its some time ago, do you have to tell it where to install from? I
think I just selected from CD-Rom, search for install files and just press
return. But there should be only one base.tgz on the CD, so this should be
equivalent.

> I frequently get illegal instructions when I start program from the shell.
> I once got as far as "dselect", but after choosing "install", there where
> constant error.
>
> Since nothing happens when I use Linux from the Ram disk, I suspect I have
> a problem with my SCSI setup. I noticed that the errors got more frequent
> when I installed on the Medalist.
>
> Has anyone had such a problem already? I'm pretty much at my knowledge's
> end, and I will soon have to give up... Not an appealing thought...
I have test installed Debian/slink several times, allthough this was on an
IDE disk (catweasel controller). My work setup is on the SCSI disk though,
no problems with that.

Kernel 2.0.36 is fine with me (dont use 2.1 or 2.2 kernels for setting up
debian, they work fine though afterwards. Maybe not when you install new
packages, but during normal work).
What OS Roms are you using? Phase5 recommends 3.1 for the Blizzard.
Maybe you remove Unit 4 temporarily? I have set up my CD-Rom behind all
harddisks.
Do you have SCSI problems under AmigaOS also?

Ciao,
Christian.