Re: serial port question

>I checked the setup, I even used pppconfig and wvdial but the modem does not
>respond. It looks like some kind of hardware problem which is solved when
>you toggle the port speed in minicom. Does really nobody know what's
>happening there? It looks like I'll never be able to use PPP with the IIci
>and Linux unless somebody has a clue and tells me.

Tom,

I first discovered this serial port issue last October.  Michael Schmitz
helped me via email to try to pin it down, and at the time we thought it
was unique to minicom.  However, as you and others have discovered with
trying to use Debian/Mac for PPP that the ports fail to "open" (for lack
of a better word here :) and pass data either way until some magic occurs.
I was the one that discovered toggling a setting in minicom's setup menu
"woke up" the port, and until you did that, nothing passed in either
direction.
Once you did, it worked until you exited that minicom session.

However, in the course of trying to pin it down, we also discovered that
without entering any comm program, and just doing a cat of a file to the
port from the console, that the port passed the data just fine!  That does
suggest a possibility that you might try.  Create a one line file with a
dial command to your modem (atdt blah_blah), do a cat of that file to the
port, and let us know if it dials the number.  That would be interesting
to know.

Paul