Re: serial port question

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 07:32:09AM -0400, wb2oyc wrote:

> dial command to your modem (atdt blah_blah), do a cat of that file to the
> port, and let us know if it dials the number.  That would be interesting
> to know.

Didn't help. But while I was doing that I remembered that Macs don't have
the same control lines on the serial port than a PC. As I didn't know
exactly which one it was I played a bit with the settings for DCD, DSR, RTS
and CTS with the following effect:

Minicom still doesn't work until you toggle the port speed, wvdialconf still
doesn't detect a modem and refuses to dial if you just edit the wvdial.conf
file but pon now works at the second attempt. The first invocation prints an
error message like "serial overrun" but the second invocation connects my
IIci to the Net. poff fails to disconnect the modem 'though.

Does this ring a bell somewhere? I think I'm only a little bit off the right
track now. I have a hardware handshake cable and a Motorola Lifestyle 28.8
which works fine with MacOS as I previously wrote. FreePPP autodetects it so
I don't know its INIT string. I guess I could just copy it and use it with
Linux if I knew it right?