Re: X display; xdm; wmaker; windowmaker; twm

Stefano Franchi wrote:
> >Unless the kernel knows how to change the display resolution (in which
> >case
> >there are interfaces exported by the kernel for use with fbset, or by
> >mmapping
> >a specific framebuffer device for a predefined mode), changing the mode
> >lines
> >in the X config file won't do anything for you. The framebuffer X server
> >ignores those modelines, at best. All it wants to see is the default mode
> >section.
>
> I don't think this is quite correct, unless Debian/Mk68 behaves differently
> from the standard Linux Frame Buffer device. It is true that the Frame
> Buffer server will behave the way you describe *if* it finds a "default"
> section in XFConfig. However, it is possible, on a powerPC at least,  to
> use the "standard" XFreeConfig-determined multimode setting with
> XF86_FBDev.

The framebuffer device concept originated on Linux/m68k, so it's the
proverbial
default framebuffer device here :-)

Read my statement more carefully: This can only work if the X server can
ask
the kernel to change the screen resolution. This is not possible for some
of
the Atari and Amiga builtin video hardware (not implemented; specs should
be available) AFAIK. It's not possible on graphics cards for which the
manufacturer didn't release programming specs, and, by extension,
especially
not possible for m68k Mac video hardware. (Need I reiterate that Apple is
the
single one manufacturer of computer hardware notorious for releasing no
hardware specs without NDA??)

> In fact, I just installed it that way on a G3 a few days ago. The procedure
> is clearly explained in the The Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device guide by
> Geert Uytterhoeven which is usually included in the XFree distribution and
> is also available at:
> http://xfree86.gw.com/3.3.3.1/fbdev5.html#5

I'm not questioning Geert's fbdev doc; in fact, the FAQ section I quoted
contains a couple of mode lines for use with fbset and X. The original
posting
refered to installation on a Mac, and that's why I said changing modelines
would be useless.
The G3 might have a graphics card with known programming specs, or the
mode
switching is done by OF. Both isn't available for Mac.