Re: X display; xdm; wmaker; windowmaker; twm

>Stanley Long wrote:
>> > Please don't mess with XF86Config. Copying XF86Config.eg from
>> > /usr/doc/xserver-common/examples (if my memory serves me right)
>>
>> Michael, I am getting up-to-speed on a K62/-333 Linux box with SuSE.
>> The AGP video card is not supported, but its chip set is (Trident-985).
>> It has not been possible to make things work with the approved setup
>> utilities, even though the video chip set is in the ..._SVGA driver.
>> Manually editing the /etc/XF86Config so as to add the proper mode
>> lines is an approved and successful solution.
>>   I have 800x66, 1024x768, and 1200x1024 on this 17" KDS monitor.
>
>Stanley, this is the _m68k_ Debian list, and all m68k machines use the
>framebuffer X server (XF86_FBDev), not the SVGA server. There is a
>fundamental
>difference between the framebuffer X server and all others, in that the
>framebuffer X server relies on the kernel framebuffer device to be set
>up in a particular resolution, and to inquire that resolution from the
>kernel
>before memory mapping the framebuffer device (using the size as provided
>by the kernel).
>
>Unless the kernel knows how to change the display resolution (in which
>case
>there are interfaces exported by the kernel for use with fbset, or by
>mmapping
>a specific framebuffer device for a predefined mode), changing the mode
>lines
>in the X config file won't do anything for you. The framebuffer X server
>ignores those modelines, at best. All it wants to see is the default mode
>section.

I don't think this is quite correct, unless Debian/Mk68 behaves differently
from the standard Linux Frame Buffer device. It is true that the Frame
Buffer server will behave the way you describe *if* it finds a "default"
section in XFConfig. However, it is possible, on a powerPC at least,  to
use the "standard" XFreeConfig-determined multimode setting with
XF86_FBDev.
In fact, I just installed it that way on a G3 a few days ago. The procedure
is clearly explained in the The Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device guide by
Geert Uytterhoeven which is usually included in the XFree distribution and
is also available at:
http://xfree86.gw.com/3.3.3.1/fbdev5.html#5

It'd be interesting to know if it is only possible on a powerPC FB.

Stefano

| Stefano Franchi                                           |
| Department of Philosophy    Phone: Off:  (650) 723-2192   |
| Stanford University                Home: (650) 497-2812   |
| Stanford, CA 94305          Fax:         (650) 723-0985   |
| USA                                                       |
| e-mail: franchi@csli.stanford.edu                         |
| http://mac-stefano.stanford.edu                           |