Re: X display; xdm; wmaker; windowmaker; twm

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Simon Richter wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 1999, Thomas Adams wrote:
>
> > > There is a configuration file, /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers which lists the
> > > servers xdm should start or actively connect to. You will need a "local"
> > > entry there (see xdm(8)). Also, you will need to configure the X server
> > > first. The best way to do so at present is to take an existing
> >
> > That's something I still don't understand: Why do I have to configure things
> > manually which are taken care of automatically with i386 Debian?
>
> For the /etc/X11/Xservers part, this isn't configured by i386 Debian as
> well. For the server config, noone has written a config utility for that
> yet (XF86_FBDev has other parameters than all the rest).
I dont understand what you have to configure? When I installed xfree
(including xdm) xdm started automatically during the next reboot (maybe even
earlier) without any hand configuration needed. But I am using a simple
setup with only one amiga not permanetely connected to anything else...
As for the original problem, I suspect that your kernel does not support
unix domain sockets, but didnt we have the same problem here only recently?

When you have installed xfree, it does not rellay matter if you use startx
or xdm to get X going. Both use the same configuration files. So for testing
your configuration, startx is the way to go, as you just have to type startx
(as user) to test your config (were I still doubt that you have to configure
anything...). Once startx is working as it should, you can install xdm (if
you havent done allready) and you will have the X login screen after a
reboot (or after you start xdm as root).
When xdm is installed, you [start|stop] it with:
 /etc/init.c/xdm [start|stop|whatever]
as root.
Again I have the feeling that we had excatly this only a few days ago,
something like this should go into the FAQ which one of you is going to
write :-)

Ciao,
Christian.