Re: X display; xdm; wmaker; windowmaker; twm

Simon Richter wrote:
> > That's something I still don't understand: Why do I have to configure things
> > manually which are taken care of automatically with i386 Debian?
>
> For the /etc/X11/Xservers part, this isn't configured by i386 Debian as
> well. For the server config, noone has written a config utility for that
> yet (XF86_FBDev has other parameters than all the rest).

Please don't mess with XF86Config. Copying XF86Config.eg from
/usr/doc/xserver-common/examples (if my memory serves me right) should
result in a working X configuration. The only relevant things in the
XF86Config file
are the mouse settings; the m68k framebuffer X server only uses the
'default'
mode entry. If your framebuffer driver supports mode changes (the Mac one
doesn't, and probably never will) use fbset to tweak modes.

If some combination of X packages fails to install XF86Config, please file
a bug against xfree86.