Re: Mac XWindows question

Simon Richter wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Thomas Adams wrote:
>
> > Then I'd like to change the color of the screen and I want fvwm to start up
> > automatically. Is this possible?
>
> Of course it is, but you usually don't use startx. I would try to install
> xdm at first, then look further.

Even using startx. Create a .xsession file in your home directory that
launches
fvwm (probably needs exec fvwm as last command in that file) after
starting a
few other apps (xterm and the like) in the background.

Sample xsession files are probably in /usr/X11R6/ someplace, use
'find /usr/X11R6 -name Xsession\*' to locate them.

If starting X with xdm, there's a file /etc/X11/windowmanagers (or some
such)
listing available window managers. xdm starts the first of these per
default.

> > Resolution: The screen is currently running at something which looks like
> > 600*400. The card is recognized as "cfb8" and allows 800*600 in MacOS. Can I
> > have this resolution in X as well?
>
> Yes, with the appropriate modeline. fbset can tell you a proper modeline
> for the current mode, see the manpage.

BS. You can't change resolutions on a Mac from Linux. Boot with the
resolution
you want to use. fbset is useless for Macs.