Sonic ethernet and Color X on Q650

I'm new to the list, so here's an observation that may be redundant.

After installing the slink ftp distribution I couldn't get ethernet to
work on my Quadra 650.  While checking into it I noticed that if I
passed the kernel argument "macsonic=3,0,0" rather than the default
(mac8390=4,2???) to invoke debugging level 3 everything worked, but
slowly.  I ended up modifying the driver in the 2.0.36 kernel source,
disabling the printk() calls and adding a delay loop (currently of 1000
iterations) for each printk() call occurrance.  The network now works
and seems fast.  Why does the delay fix things up?  I don't know.
Anybody?

Also, X windows works great for me now too.  I setup my XF86Config file
with StaticColor as my option and preloaded the expected color table in
the penguin booter.  I could assemble the details of the process if
needed.  It's very derivative of a how-to I found by someone else, but
he left the color table dynamic.  Now things look very nice, but it
would be nicer with a dynamic color table.

Cheers,

Gary Bringhurst