Re: Sonic ethernet and Color X on Q650

Gary Bringhurst wrote:
> After installing the slink ftp distribution I couldn't get ethernet to
> work on my Quadra 650.  While checking into it I noticed that if I
> passed the kernel argument "macsonic=3,0,0" rather than the default
> (mac8390=4,2???) to invoke debugging level 3 everything worked, but

Grrr, please don't confuse mac5380 (SCSI driver parameters) and
macsonic (ethernet). Even though you don't need a mac5380 parameter,
others
with old Macs still need it.

> slowly.  I ended up modifying the driver in the 2.0.36 kernel source,
> disabling the printk() calls and adding a delay loop (currently of 1000
> iterations) for each printk() call occurrance.  The network now works
> and seems fast.  Why does the delay fix things up?  I don't know.
> Anybody?

Please post a diff showing which printk()s were replaced by delays. The
driver had some other problems (cache consistency, duplicated packets
sent by the Sonic), it's basically broken in the release kernel and
that's been said here many times.

> Also, X windows works great for me now too.  I setup my XF86Config file
> with StaticColor as my option and preloaded the expected color table in
> the penguin booter.  I could assemble the details of the process if

Good thinking. The color table preload had been suggested but people
didn't set the config to static color (the cfb framebuffer driver doesn't
really support static color visuals BTW, it won't try reading the color
map from the kernel etc).

Did you change the color table? If so, can you upload the changed one?
If it doesn't disturb the console colors too badly we could use it for
slink_r2.
And please write a short description on the X config change.

> needed.  It's very derivative of a how-to I found by someone else, but
> he left the color table dynamic.  Now things look very nice, but it
> would be nicer with a dynamic color table.

Sure, but that requires some hacking. CLUT support for Q630 is in beta,
and a few others are being worked on, but volunteers are always welcome.