Re: HP Deskwriter C

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 03:39:02PM +0100, Anders Hammarquist wrote:
> > What kind of printer is that? Tried changing the serial speed or other
> > serial
> > parameters? Tried to ask the manufacturer for technical documentation? HP
> > used
> > to have good technical manuals for their printers.
>
> I believe the Deskwriter is the same as the Deskjet, except for LocalTalk
> support. Try dumping the output from the ghostscript deskjet driver to the
> serial port and see if you get anything useful.

A DeskJet can print straight ASCII, so there gotta be another difference.

Unless the printer expects LocalTalk on the serial port and can't handle
either lower speed or data not encapsulated in LocalTalk packets. In the
latter case, I'd expect it to print nothing at all. Linux doesn't do
LocalTalk, period.

Question to the original poster: did you change the serial speed to 38400
baud or less, and is this printer using LocalTalk protocol (i.e. shows up as
printer in the Chooser on a LocalTalk network)?