Re: how to recognize the different subarchs.

On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 12:05:06PM +0200, Roman Hodek wrote:

> > i would like to know how it is possible to distinguish between the
> > different subarchs (or should i ask this on the kernel list ?), some
> > /proc thingy for example ???
>
> The standard script for this is:
>
> 	case `awk '$1 == "Model:" { print $2 }' /proc/hardware` in
> 		Atari)
> 			# ...
> 			;;
> 		Amiga)
> 			# ...
> 			;;
> 		Macintosh)
> 			# ...
> 			;;
> 		Motorola) # MVME
> 			# ...
> 			;;
> 	esac
>
> It looks at /proc/hardware that contains a line Model:, containing
> e.g.
>
>   Model: Atari TT
>   Model: Amiga 3000

ok thanks i will forward him this mail ...

> > or would it be more meaningful to load the kernel default keymap,
> > are they subarch specific ?
>
> Yes. And the kernel default map doesn't exist as a *.map file... it is
> only in the kernel. Best use the US keymap as default.

i think this keymap is the one from driver/char/defkey.map or something
similar. Will the default kernel keymap become a french one like my keyboard if
i change this file ? how do i test it, is there some way to reload the defaulkt
keymap? some magic key, to use when i misloaded a broken keymap, or something
such? or a /proc/keymap to it ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER