Re: Debian 2.0 CD release for m68k ?

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> Hi,
>
> >> Another political question: how much can we make the CD 'bootable'? IIRC the
> >> Debian 1.3 unreleased pre-alpha version for m68k was installable without any
> >> single floppy diskette. Or at least I have got such a CD compiled by a
> >> friend of mine. Will this be possible for hamm as well (i.e. floppy-less
> >> installation)?
> >
> >At least for Amiga, this is already the case (actually I really HAD to make
> >it this way because my good old A3000's floppy drive seems to slowly
> >fade away).
> >For Atari something very similar should be possible, too.
>
> All we would need is the unpacked rescue floppy contents in /install-m68k/atari
> (or /install-m68k/amiga or ../mac) - can you start the install off an ISO
> filesystem or would we need additional tracks on the CD for each machine?

For Amiga you can start it of the CD. The execute permissions must be
set for the amiboot (and it should be unpacked). The resc.bin and
drv.bin can be taken form the cd just like any other filesystem as
long as they are unpacked. No need for special tracks or anything for
them.

What could be a problem is bootability. Can Ataris or macs boot from
CD? And if, do those boot methods conflict? Amigas generally can't so
theres no worry there.

> As soon as I got my hands on the Atari rescue floppy (*nudge*), I can make the
> LHA archive so people could at least unpack that to harddisk. Phil offered to
> put some goodies outside the Debian archive hierarchy if it's impossible to
> add new stuff to the boot floppies directories in stable.

Please include it unpacked and with executable permissions for
amiboot. ".info" files for the directories and files would also be
nice. I could give you a Penguin holding an Eagle Linux sign :) I have
to look if I have it without the sign as well if your intrested.

> 	Michael

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn