Re: CV64 support

Hello Brederlow,

On 29-Lip-98, Brederlow wrote:

> What kernel do you have? I will presume you have a stable kernel
> (i.e. 2.0.xx) and then the right option for video should be
>
> video=cyberfb:...

Yeah, I have 2.0.33 and cyberfb: works. Thanks.

>> And when it comes to X - it starts perfectly on AGA, but being used
>> to NetBSD's cyber:1024x768-16, I wanted something more.
>
> Unless you know how to programm, theres currently no way to get 16 Bit.

Hmmm, I found
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de:21/pub/Linux/680x0/X11R6/XCyber64.tar.gz, but is
seems a bit dated. It sports a nice featurelist though - is it possible to
make use of it?

Another problem is that the window movement, scrolling etc are very slow on
gfx-board screen - I assume the Xserver does not use CV64's blitter. Now, is
any work being done to remedy this? The same goes for 16/24-bit modes.

>> Unfortunately, after 16h of reading FAQ's, install-manuals and doc
>> files, consulting ppl on IRC, wading thru zillions of Web pages
>> containing m68k and Debian in them I am still more or less where I
>> left off - that is on a 640x480 8-bit AGA screen.
>
> How comes eveyone keeps having problems with that? It seems so easy :)
> Just install the X as it comes and don't touch anything. Now the X
> should come up directly on the console without changing modes and thus

Sure, now it works great, but only after I learned about "cyberfb:". Is it
mentioned anywhere in the docs? :)

> I hope that helps.

Yes, it helped a lot. Thanks a 1e6.

Regards,
Milek
Ps. And on somewhat unrelated matter - is there a point (for me) in
upgrading to 2.0.35? Will I find a binary somewhere?
--
mailto:thorgal@amiga.com.pl   |  "Man in the Moon and other weird things" -
http://wfmh.org.pl/~thorgal/  |  see it at http://wfmh.org.pl/~thorgal/Moon/