Re: CV64 support

Miloslaw Smyk <thorgal@amiga.com.pl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've just installed Debian 2.0 on my Amiga 4000 and now I am wondering about
> the CV64 support.
>
> First, I'd like to have a console on the gfx-board. Unfortunately, it only
> works when I:
>
> 1. Change the screenmode with Workbench's ScreenModePrefs to 640x480-8
> (CV64)
> 2. amiboot-5.6 -v -k linuxamiga root=/dev/sda6 ro video=cyber:640x480-8
>
> all other combinations (like video=cyber:1024x768-8 while having 1024x768
> screen open) just give me garbled display. What's more, even in 640x480-8
> mode, inverse text is shown wrong - without the inverse actually.

What kernel do you have? I will presume you have a stable kernel
(i.e. 2.0.xx) and then the right option for video should be

video=cyberfb:...

with recent unstable kernels the fb got killed so everyone if off
track again (or some other reason I never heard of :). The reason why
it works with 640x480 only is probably that it recognises the
beginning of cyberfb but can't extract any mode and thus falls back to
default resolution.

> And when it comes to X - it starts perfectly on AGA, but being used
> to NetBSD's cyber:1024x768-16, I wanted something more.

Unless you know how to programm, theres currently no way to get 16 Bit.

> Unfortunately, after 16h of reading FAQ's, install-manuals and doc
> files, consulting ppl on IRC, wading thru zillions of Web pages
> containing m68k and Debian in them I am still more or less where I
> left off - that is on a 640x480 8-bit AGA screen.

How comes eveyone keeps having problems with that? It seems so easy :)
Just install the X as it comes and don't touch anything. Now the X
should come up directly on the console without changing modes and thus
it would be on your CV (unless the config file has changed). Once that
works, make a backup of /etc/XF86Config so you can allways get it back
working.

> Would please a helpful soul give me some precise pointers as to what and
> where should I read (or better yet, what to do/download) to be able to use
> my CV64 in X?

Try ftp://eagle-cp.com/pub/eagle-linux/XF86Config

You can use "startx -- -bpp 4" to get the native console mode,
i.e. CV, which is the default, or "startx -- -bpp 8" for 640x480-8.

> Thanks in advance,
> Milek

I hope that helps.

May the Source be with you.