base2_0 problem

Hello,

My machine is an A4000/040 with 16Meg RAM.  I can get linux up on a
watchtower ramdisk filesystem
using the vmlinux kernel in the Debian Hamm distribution.  So far that
works just fine.  I also used a running
linux system to download all the binary-m68k files to a pre-partitioned
hard drive ( ext2 formatted ).  I
ran into a strange problem.  I mount the drive as /mnt/hard1 or whatever
but the executables won't run.
I should tell you that the executables are the ones that come out of
unpacking the base2_0.tgz file under
the disks-m68k/common/ directory.  I'm also not sure exactly what all is
supposed to unpack from base2_0.tgz
but I only get a bin and usr directory and I'm really hoping for some
dev/ and whatnot so I can boot from
the hard drive.  Anyway I get:
    bash: whatever: file not found       when I try to run the
executables.
This is strange because it runs the bash scripts, so I know it sees the
files.  The files are mode 755 and are
indeed motorola 68000 executables...  now I'm severely confused.  I
think this is all that is holding me back
completeing the installation... well, maybe.

Another question:
No matter what format floppy I put the root.bin image on it can't be
read by my machine when it is requested.
(like in the case when I try to boot up linux without the watchtower
filesystem)
I've tried dd-ing the image to disk, I've tried using rawrite2 on a dos
system, I've tried putting it on a ADOS
floppy when all that failed.  What is the format of this file?  and how
is it to be used?  Same question goes for
the drv1440.bin and resc1440.bin  ??

Sorry if these questions are really old, please point me to the proper
mailing list archive if they are.

Eric M.

--
/*  Eric Majzoub                                      */