Re: base2_0 problem

"Eric H. Majzoub" <ehm@howdy.wustl.edu> writes:

> Hello,

> My machine is an A4000/040 with 16Meg RAM.  I can get linux up on a
> watchtower ramdisk filesystem using the vmlinux kernel in the Debian

Why don`t you use the root.bin from the common directory or the atari
directory as your rammdisk filesystem? That will present you a menu
and guide you through the installation.

> Hamm distribution.  So far that works just fine.  I also used a
> running linux system to download all the binary-m68k files to a
> pre-partitioned hard drive ( ext2 formatted ).  I ran into a strange
> problem.  I mount the drive as /mnt/hard1 or whatever but the
> executables won't run.

Thats a savety precaution. Drives that are mounted can`t contain
executables. This prevents people to bring in a floppy or cd with a
suid shell, which would give them root rights.
You have to specify that the partition you want to mount is allowed to
contain executeables by using "mount -o exec". See "man mount" for
further detail.

> I should tell you that the executables are the ones that come out of
> unpacking the base2_0.tgz file under
> the disks-m68k/common/ directory.  I'm also not sure exactly what all is
> supposed to unpack from base2_0.tgz
> but I only get a bin and usr directory and I'm really hoping for some
> dev/ and whatnot so I can boot from
> the hard drive.  Anyway I get:
>     bash: whatever: file not found       when I try to run the
> executables.
> This is strange because it runs the bash scripts, so I know it sees the
> files.  The files are mode 755 and are
> indeed motorola 68000 executables...  now I'm severely confused.  I
> think this is all that is holding me back
> completeing the installation... well, maybe.

> Another question:
> No matter what format floppy I put the root.bin image on it can't be
> read by my machine when it is requested.

The root.bin is a compressed image. If you wan`t to put that onto a
disk to boot from it must be unpacked. But then it would be >880K and
thus would not fit onto a dd disk and thats the once that are
supported.

If you wan`t to put root.bin on a disk, just take a normal floppy, put
setpatch, the 680x0.library`s, amiboot, the kernel and the root.bin
(as is) on it. Then create df0:s/startup-sequence. In that start
setpatch and then
"amiboot -k kernel -r root.bin root=/dev/ram video=ami:vga70" or
whatever parameter you want/need. I don`t see the advantage over
having the files on harddisk and typing the one line. You should only
need it once anyway.

> (like in the case when I try to boot up linux without the watchtower
> filesystem)
> I've tried dd-ing the image to disk, I've tried using rawrite2 on a dos
> system, I've tried putting it on a ADOS
> floppy when all that failed.  What is the format of this file?  and how
> is it to be used?  Same question goes for
> the drv1440.bin and resc1440.bin  ??

drv1440.bin and resc1440.bin you don`t realy need. You need them to
make the install script happy. Place them on some Amiga partition and
tell the script where to find them when it asks for them. No need to
copy them to floppies, even if it would be possible.

> Sorry if these questions are really old, please point me to the proper
> mailing list archive if they are.
>
> Eric M.

Somebody should write an Amiga-Install.readme, maybe you? :)

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn