Re: Mac Quadra

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> Hi,
>
> >> What is the status of Linux-68k with regard to Macintosh?
> >> I have a Quadra, and according to the MacLinux web site, Quadra's
> >> SCSI isn't supported, but that web page was dated January.
> >
> >Might be worth a try, no clue myself.

> I thought you were supporting all of m68k machines?? :-) Get a clue, then. And
> please point people asking questions you can't answer to the proper resources.

Get lost and stop that private war of yours.

> For the record: the authoritative source of information on the status of the
> Mac project is the development mailing list (and kernel related questions in
> general are best asked on linux-m68k).
>
> On Quadra SCSI support: It isn't worth a try, currently.
>
> >> How badly can I trash the machine attempting installation? :-)
> >> Just call me MacClueless. I haven't even gotten the guts up to reinstalling
> >> MacOS8.1 yet.
> >
> >The most that can happen is that your data will be gone, but I haven
> >heard of anyone realy losing any.
>
> That can happen on any computer when repartitioning disks. And you will lose
> data on the partitions that are affected by repartitioning (never heard about
> that??).

I heard of stupid people doing "format c:" on their PC, but that has
nothing to do with the Linux installation process. Stupidity is OS independant.

> >If you don't format the wrong partition or so, nothing should
> >happen. Partition the disk under MacOS, so Linux won't have to change
> >the partition tables.
>
> Partitioning under MacOS will also change the partition tables :-)
>
> So 1) back up all your data, at the very least the data on the disk you are
> going to repartition, 2) it doesn't make a difference whether you partition
> under MacOS or under Linux (provided Linux can read the disk :-), the point is
> moot for this particular case).

For Amiga Partitioning under Linux is dangerous and need at least a
reboot afterwards. Partitioning under AmigaOS is save and doesnt need
the reboot. I think the same can be said for Mac, where the fdisk is
also beta.

> That's assuming your external disk is an Apple brand, of course. Non-Apple
> disks are not recognized by Apple's HD SC Setup. There's a patch you can do
> to force HD SC Setup to accept all disks, though. Without a patched Setup,
> the Linux fdisk or the MacOS version pdisk are your only choices (and pdisk
> isn't a nice GUI application, not real 'Mac').

Yeah, aren't Macs nice. :) I heard of that.
But since he wants to KEEP his Mac partition on that disk, I assume he
already got it working.

[snip]

> Disclaimer: I've never used the Linux based fdisk for Macs to partition disks.
> It's derived from the MkLinux pdisk, the MkLinux people use it a lot, so I'm
> confident it works.

Just as the Amiga fdisk should work, but sometimes fails. E.g. my
fdisk can create a fresh partition table from scratch.
Using the Native OS's partitioning Program is allways the best (except
on DOS), because if something happens, at least its not Linux
fault. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn