Re: Mac Quadra

Hi,

>> What is the status of Linux-68k with regard to Macintosh?
>> I have a Quadra, and according to the MacLinux web site, Quadra's
>> SCSI isn't supported, but that web page was dated January.
>
>Might be worth a try, no clue myself.

I thought you were supporting all of m68k machines?? :-) Get a clue, then. And
please point people asking questions you can't answer to the proper resources.

For the record: the authoritative source of information on the status of the
Mac project is the development mailing list (and kernel related questions in
general are best asked on linux-m68k).

On Quadra SCSI support: It isn't worth a try, currently.

>> How badly can I trash the machine attempting installation? :-)
>> Just call me MacClueless. I haven't even gotten the guts up to reinstalling
>> MacOS8.1 yet.
>
>The most that can happen is that your data will be gone, but I haven
>heard of anyone realy losing any.

That can happen on any computer when repartitioning disks. And you will lose
data on the partitions that are affected by repartitioning (never heard about
that??).

>If you don't format the wrong partition or so, nothing should
>happen. Partition the disk under MacOS, so Linux won't have to change
>the partition tables.

Partitioning under MacOS will also change the partition tables :-)

So 1) back up all your data, at the very least the data on the disk you are
going to repartition, 2) it doesn't make a difference whether you partition
under MacOS or under Linux (provided Linux can read the disk :-), the point is
moot for this particular case).
That's assuming your external disk is an Apple brand, of course. Non-Apple
disks are not recognized by Apple's HD SC Setup. There's a patch you can do
to force HD SC Setup to accept all disks, though. Without a patched Setup,
the Linux fdisk or the MacOS version pdisk are your only choices (and pdisk
isn't a nice GUI application, not real 'Mac').

One thing to note on MacOS 8.x: If you use HFS+ filesystems, Linux won't read
them. Thanks Apple for not releasing the HFS+ specs without NDA to make life
more interesting for other people.
If you want Linux to exchange data with MacOS, use HFS or get MountX to mount
ext2 partitions from MacOS (these partitions are currently misdetected by
Debian due to their Apple_HFS partition type; I don't think it's worth fixing
this and listing HFS partitions as potential ext2 partitions, users would
rather roast their MacOS partitions by accident).

Disclaimer: I've never used the Linux based fdisk for Macs to partition disks.
It's derived from the MkLinux pdisk, the MkLinux people use it a lot, so I'm
confident it works.