Re: Debian install on a IIsi not working

Nasr Abukhdeir <nasser@escape.student.umd.edu> writes:

> Hi everyone,
> 	Apologies for the mixup and the excess emails to the list.  But
> that aside i have a problem, installing debain linux on my IIsi...
>
> 	What i'd tried to do is install the base.tgz on a zip drive off of
> my linuxppc box.  This did work, but when i tried to use the penguin
> booter and actually boot the IIsi off the zip drive during the boot i
> recieved a rather unwelcomed "unconfigered.sh".  I did a little reading
> and learned that i need to use the installer to "configure" my system. So
> i tried that to no avail, i could not get the installer to fit on a pc
> formatted disk, when i did uing linux, i couldn't get it to boot using
> /dev/fd or /dev/fd0.
> 	To sum things up, how do i "configure" the kernel without using
> the installer?  If i can get the IIsi to boot off the zip drive i can then
> untar the base.tgz onto the hd and reboot using that, then use dftp or
> dpkg-ftp(forget what its called) to install the rest of the system.
> 	Preemptive thanks for any help given.
> 					Nasr

Try the following:

Put the zip into your PC, get root.bin, base2_0.tgz, resc1440.bin,
drv1440.bin onto the pc.

mv root.bin root.bin.gz
gunzip root.bin

Partition the zip, so that you have space for the root.bin (and a few
K extra for safety) and a partition of ~10 MB for the base2_0.tgz, the
rescue and the drivers disk.

dd if=root.bin of=/dev/<zip_partition_for_root.bin>

mke2fs /dev/<zip_partition_for_base2_0.tgz>
mount /dev/<zip_partition_for_base2_0.tgz> /mnt
cp base2_0.tgz resc1440.bin drv1440.bin /mnt
umount /mnt

Put the zip into you IIsi and boot with
root=/dev/<partition_with_root.bin>

You should then see the normal install menu come up. Follow it and
enjoy your system. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn