Debian logo/font question

Hi all

Just doing some Sunday browsing, came across this pdf on women in debian.
https://people.cs.umass.edu/~wallach/talks/2011-04-05_JHU.pdf

The question is not about the topic, as interesting as it is.
On page 2 of the pdf, there is a debian logo in a certain font, with a red diamond on the 'i'.

My questions:
Allison, Martin, can you give me a bit more info on this font and the diamond? Did this precede the swirl? Is this font still THE font?

Tammy: I quite like that font and the diamond. What do you think? Do you think a diamond and swirl combo could work in some way?

Some further research via https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLogo:
The font used to write "Debian" in the logo is a commercial paid font [0] called Poppl Laudatio Condensed [1]. The i-Dot has been manually replaced by a red diamond. Julien Blache annotated that the text has been condensed horizontally and stretched vertically. The "debian" text can be found in vector format at [5].

There was also a resembled free font at [4] - a page that still hosts it is at [3].
A DFSG-free font called Prociono is available in Debian main

The 'resembled' free font is called 'laudatioc' and I find it jarring, is there a san serif version somewhere perhaps?

The 'prociono' font looks better, I think: http://crudfactory.com/font/show/prociono
Thoughts?

Cheers