Re: [Debconf-sponsors-team] Replacing sponsors-table

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 2:23 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
> also sprach Philipp Hug <debian@hug.cx> [2014-07-05 15:03 +0200]:
>> I'm not so sure if you can call a custom application which is only
>> used for the sponsors table maintainable.
>
> If Summit/Django is maintained, then such an application within the
> framework is really not going to be that much work.
>
>> If we're switching to another system, I'd prefer to use standard
>> software and also make sure the system is not just used for the
>> sponsors table but also for invoicing.
>
> Are you aware of such a system that supports our mode of
> collaboration, and which DSA would install, if a central install
> were necessary?
>
>> > If it provides the same level of features as sponsors-table,
>> > then that's enough; anything on top is icing. It should be
>> > possible to add features on top, e.g. for SPI.
>>
>> What's the advantage of converting the text file to a custom
>> python web app with an SQL backend?
>
> Well, the layer on top of Django won't be thick. And then you get
> all the benefits of using structured data over free-form data, e.g.
> sorting, filtering, but also queries and the possibility to add e.g.
> invoicing.

One idea I had toyed with, but never got around to implementing, is to
move to a structured text file, while still keeping our git-based
workflow.

We could use something like yaml, json, or other textual structured
data format. (No XML please.)

It could be a transitional step to let us hack on the schema, before
looking at something else. (And allow data migration over a period of
time.)

I liked this idea, as moving to a JSON/YAML/CSV/etc datafile, would
get us 90% of the benefits of using a database, but without the
maintenance and development overhead. (I think there may have been
some concerns last time I raised this, but I don't recall anything
insurmountable.)

Thoughts?

-Brian