Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] Food serving for vegetarians und vegans

Hi Wookey,

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 08:30:51PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Christian PERRIER [2013-08-20 19:25 +0200]:
> > Quoting Daniel Kahn Gillmor (dkg@fifthhorseman.net):
> > > I missed this year's debconf, but i was disappointed to learn that we
> > > had to forbid omnivores from choosing a vegetarian meal.  I'd rather an
> > > omnivore eat my vegan meal (and leave me to figure something else out --
> > > i will, don't worry) than to require that omnivore to consume animal
> > > products that they'd rather not consume.  Trying to respect my
> > > preference for veganism should not result in *more* animal products
> > > being consumed!

> > We had not to forbid omnivores to eat vegetarian or vegan meals.

> > We just had to take care of leaving enough food for vegetarians and
> > vegans, which would have not happened if too many non veg* had been
> > eating that food.

> > Thankfully, in general, the kitchen adapted fairly well to all needs
> > and I think that most will agree that food was well managed this year.

> It was, but I do think that there is room for a bit more vegetarian
> food at debconf. IIRC the omnivore food was veggie one meal in 14
> (ignoring breakfasts which were entirely veggie).

> The food was fine, and pleasing everyone is always tricky, and I
> certainly don't want to come across as complaining, but I'd have
> preferred to eat more veggie/less meat. (I refrained from the
> explicitly veggie stuff for fear of depleting the supply for others,
> as instructed).

> (I did miss dinner completely one day due to yakking too much and went
> to the resaurant in Concise, which was very good (thank James :-)

> Anyway, just a minor bit of feedback for next year. Portland is full
> of hippies - we could have a mostly-veggie debconf, and get arguments
> about food instead of accomodation. :-)

The organizing team for DebConf14 is largely composed of obligate
carnivores; there is no risk of a "mostly-veggie debconf" here. ;)

Anyway, I think it's a good point that (good) vegetarian options appeal to
more than just vegetarians, and I've heard this feedback from several other
people as well in addition to those in this thread, so I've captured it
here:

  https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/RequirementsGathering

At the end of the day, we still need to make sure that people who have
registered as vegetarian/vegan have their food preferences respected, which
might still mean waiting until they've eaten before opening things up to the
omnivores; but we can still take steps to set the dial a little more towards
the vegetable end.