Re: [Debian-portland-soc] July Beering and DebConf Planning

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 02:29:06AM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> >> FWIW, you don't have to be a designer to help us here.  Feel free to
> >> contribute ideas about what would be a good logo that captures the essence
> >> of Portland - there are designers around in the DebConf community who can
> >> help us with turning those ideas into a design.

> > I'm thinking a "Portland logo" should incorporate Evergreens, Mt Hood,
> > and a cityscape. (And obviously the Debian logo.) I threw together a
> > quick "back of the envelope" idea [1].  If you like it, please feel
> > free to get a designer to flesh it out. (I'm willing to coordinate
> > with designer, if needed).

> >> Just as a quick brainstorm of things that we might incorporate into the logo
> >> (pick one):

> >>   - one of the bridges
> >>   - Mt. Hood
> >>   - roses

> > [1] - https://wiki.debconf.org/upload/6/63/DC14-draft-logo-bgupta.png

> So based on vorlon's IRC feedback that my sketch might not translate
> well to a logo, I took another pass to show that there is room for
> stylization. [1]

> I believe that a designer could take the stylization much further if
> we gave them our color restrictions, and expected uses. (t-shirt,
> etc.)

> The real question I think, is do we like the idea of a logo that
> captures Mt. Hood, Evergreens and the city skyline?

> -Brian

> [1] - https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/File:DC14-draft-logo-bgupta2.jpg

I do like this idea.  I defer to others who have more experience with things
like e.g. the t-shirt printing to say whether this is practical.

FWIW, if someone wants to run with this idea, here's some other source
material for Portland's skyline - the classic view of Portland that Brian
is capturing:

http://www.i-5online.com/images/portland.jpg
http://www.teamintraining.org/chapter/oswim/image/2675340/PortlandMarathon
http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn2/travel/660/371/portland.jpg?ve=1