Re: [Debconf-video] Feedback

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 02:33:01PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > The problem was, in Buzz, we did not have control of the sound... The
>     > venue provided a tech to run the sound in there.
> First, if you would have noticed the bad sound in the videos (maybe
> after a review of the video), you could have told the operator about
> this. And the sound inside Buzz itself was not bad. I attenden several
> talks and the sound was always good there. I do not know if you got
> only one channel from the sound operator or several different channel
> and did not turned down the room mic channel when you've mixed the
> audio into the video.

We just have stereo sound in the recorded result. Of that, we take the
left channel only, and that is then automatically normalized using
bs1770gain, so that the "average" audio levels are at the level that
most people set their TV set to. Our review system is capable of
choosing the left channel, the right one, or to mix the two channels
into a single monaural track that is the average of both channels. This
is to deal with situations where the camera microphone is used as a
backup, but we didn't do that in dc17.

I'm not so sure that the venue audio tech was more than just a standard
"ooh, knobs, nice, I can turn them" guy. Often, in universities, venue
audio techs are just students trying to make an extra buck who have
received no more than a few general "this is where the microphones are
stored" style of instructions, and they know less about audio than we
do, but if the venue insists that we have to use their techs, we have to
use their techs. (FOSDEM has the same problem, actually).

I don't think enough review had been done during the event to figure out
whether or not the venue tech was an idiot in time. If that was the
case, we might have told him to look at the audio levels more, but we
couldn't.

I suppose it's something we should look at for next year.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab