Re: [Debconf-video] Suggestions around Opsis board purchases (was Re: Approval for DebConf Video Team equipment purchases)

> The Milkymist board adds Audio, MIDI and DMX capabilities. This will
> very useful for testing Kyle's work on USB Audio before the extracting
> audio from the HDMI stream is finished. It also lets you experiment with
> interfacing with control decks which have mechanical faders and tally
> lights.
Does the DMX capability provide a full universe of addressable space?
Personally I think the audio capture would be useful, but I am biased
there :)

DMX just looks like serial data to the FPGA. Nobody has actually written MIDI / DMX interfacing code yet but there is no reason it couldn't do full universe of addressable space, pretend to be multiple separate different devices or anything else in between.

> Don't forget that you want to purchase Redmere cables to improve the
> compatibility of the board. However, I'm unsure the best place to get
> them at the moment is.
We currently have 3, one for each room and a spare as far as I am aware.

You should definitely get a few more of these. We have found that the cables eventually fail after being rough handled by too many presenters.

> On more exciting news, If all goes well, we should also have a SDI
> capture board for the Opsis by the end of the year! The TimVideos and
> Apertus project applied to the German Prototype fund to get sponsorship
> for developing a FOSS SDI core and this proposal has gotten to the last
> stage of approval!
This is great news! I would love to replace the BlackMagic cards with
opsis boards

There will also be the option of using the Opsis as a HDMI to SDI converter if you really want to use SDI as your long runs.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell