Re: [Debconf-video] Suggestions around Opsis board purchases (was Re: Approval for DebConf Video Team equipment purchases)

On 19/06/2017 03:30, Tim Ansell wrote:
> Hi!
>
> FYI The Numato Opsis boards are $449.95 USD to purchase from Numato -
> https://numato.com/numato-opsis-fpga-based-open-video-platform/
> <https://numato.com/numato-opsis-fpga-based-open-video-platform/>
Apparently there is only one currently in stock, but we are planning on
buying two.

> I *really* recommend making sure that you have N+2 Opsis boards, where N
> is the number of rooms that you have. This gives you a spare board in
> case of failure while having another board in the NOC for testing and
> development with. It also allows you to lend out one of the Opsis boards
> to developers without being worried that if it doesn't get back in time
> for an event that you won't have any spares.
This is what we will have once we purchase two more - 3 rooms, 1 spare
and one test. We currently have 3 working opsis boards and one dead that
no-one has had a chance to look at properly yet.

> I also suggest that DebConf purchase at least one "TOFE Milkymist
> Compatibility Board" ($65 USD) and as many "TOFE Low Speed IO Expansion
> Board" ($36 USD) as you have Opsis boards (or at a minimum 2). These add
> on boards are only available through CrowdSupply
> (https://www.crowdsupply.com/numato-lab/opsis) until stock is no longer
>
> The Milkymist board adds Audio, MIDI and DMX capabilities. This will
> very useful for testing Kyle's work on USB Audio before the extracting
> audio from the HDMI stream is finished. It also lets you experiment with
> interfacing with control decks which have mechanical faders and tally
> lights.
Does the DMX capability provide a full universe of addressable space?
Personally I think the audio capture would be useful, but I am biased
there :)

> The TOFE Low Speed IO boards add useful buttons and indicator LEDs,
> another USB serial port and adding custom IO controls. This makes it
> significantly easier to debug issues with the board as you can get
> console output even when the USB is being reset. The buttons and LEDs
> also allow control at an event (like switching inputs/outputs) without
> needing to log into the capture PC.
>
> Don't forget that you want to purchase Redmere cables to improve the
> compatibility of the board. However, I'm unsure the best place to get
> them at the moment is.
We currently have 3, one for each room and a spare as far as I am aware.

> On more exciting news, If all goes well, we should also have a SDI
> capture board for the Opsis by the end of the year! The TimVideos and
> Apertus project applied to the German Prototype fund to get sponsorship
> for developing a FOSS SDI core and this proposal has gotten to the last
> stage of approval!
This is great news! I would love to replace the BlackMagic cards with
opsis boards

Cheers
Kyle