Re: [Debconf-video] Next Meeting - Debconf Approaches (Wednesday 24 May)

>> Hi all,
>>
>> nattie, pollo and I were speaking and we thought it is a good time for
>> us to hold a meeting to start planning for Debconf17 as it is only 3
>> months away. The proposed meeting is on
>>
>> Wednesday 24 May 2017 @ 18:00 UTC

I'll be there for the meeting too but I'll also be in a university
lecture at the same time so I won't be able to chair this meeting.

>> Proposed agenda:
>>
>> * Logistics for DC17 (shipping, equipment, etc)
>> * New Hardware [1]
>> * Video Team Sprint
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebConf/Video/VideoTeamDocs/NewVideoTeamHardware

== Audio ==

Looking quickly at that list, it looks like the audio part still needs a
lot of work. I don't know how feasible buying audio gear this year is if
RattusRattus does not pop up and help us with this soon :(

I thus feel the easy way would be to rent the audio gear completely for
this year and try to get our shit together for DC18 and buy our own gear.

We could also rent SDI cables at the same time.

This is really not something I want to have to do (since I'll clearly be
the one dealing with this locally), but I think it's the only realistic
option we have.

== Video ==

One thing I really want us to buy this year is the video gear. We want
to use Voctomix everywhere this year and scrap the old camcorders.

From what I understand, we can either buy 4 new cameras and use the 2
big ones we have or scrap everything and buy 6 new cameras. I don't feel
competent to make that choice though.

We'll also need 4 more black magic pci-e adapters.

== Computers ==

IIRC we now have 1 "cube" computer. We can use that for one of the 3
video mixing stations we need. We can either buy 2 more and ship them,
or try to get some locally.

I've talked to lavamind and we might be able to source computers
directly from the venue's IT dep, but nothing is sure there. We can get
screens for sure.

== Opsis ==

I really have not followed what is happening with the opsis. I know we
bought 1 Turbot but I don't recall what came out of that experiment.
Should we buy 2 more?

We also had 1 borked opsis after DC16 and had to use tumbleweed's dev
board. Has this been fixed?

> I'll try to be there for the meeting. Here's some stuff that's been
> bubbling up for thought.
>
> = Hardware acquisitions =
>
> Debian France has funds available on the Debian earmark, and can do
> payment for purchases directly if the supplier handles wire transfers or
> (French) chèques. With enough advance notice we might even be able to
> handle credit card payments with a virtual credit card thingibob our
> bank does.
>
> We need to make sure to buy hardware only with appropriate cases for
> shipping. *cough* https://c3voc.de/wiki/eventcases is kind of a dream.

Does this mean we have to buy extra cases for the new cameras we'll be
buying or can we not just reuse the ones we have and leave our old
crappy camcorders behind?

> The storage space at IRILL is limited (with the current setup we won't
> be able to store shipping crates for three rooms), and access is
> pretty inconvenient anyway (one just loves stairs between parking spaces
> and elevators, or having to take three different elevators to get to the
> first floor up, right?), we need to account for that.
>
> I'm tempted to consider the rental of a small storage unit (there's a
> bunch of options around Paris, with 8 cubic meters going around 100
> euros per month), which would also avoid some of the SPOF issues.
> However it might make more sense to consider storage in a place with a
> higher density of active debianites (e.g. Cambridge, UK?). I do wonder
> what C3VOC does in that regard.

I think renting some storage space would be a good idea, especially for
that price.

I also think Paris is a pretty good place for our stuff to be:

* It's still in Europe (we don't know how the whole Brexit thing will
unfold regarding customs yet :s)
* It's easily accessible via international flights (Cambridge is not,
you have to take the train from London...)
* There is quite a good deal of DD there
* Debian-France is nice and helps us manage $$$ stuff

So yeah, I'd stick with Paris.

> = DebConf shipping =
>
> FYI my plane tickets are for the following dates:
>
>  - CDG 2017-07-28 13:35 UTC+02:00 -> MTL 2017-07-28 14:55 UTC-04:00 (AF344)
>  - MTL 2017-08-13 22:05 UTC-04:00 -> CDG 2017-08-14 10:55 UTC+02:00 (AF349)
>
> (Arrival on Friday before DebCamp, departure on Sunday after DebConf)
>
> I'm okay with doing the "olasd shipping co." duties (doing the ATA
> Carnet and carrying the stuff to/from the airports), as that's something
> I have already done before and I know takes a bounded and reasonable
> amount of time. Of course, I'd be happy if someone would find a shipping
> company which handles temporary imports.

Looks like FedEx might?

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/services/international/customsforms/tempimport.html

http://www.fedex.com/ancillary/go/service/?pt=cl&lc=en_US&wcc=CA&dc=ca

--