Re: [Debconf-video] Next Meeting - Debconf Approaches (Wednesday 24 May)

* Kyle Robbertze <krobbertze@gmail.com> [2017-05-07 09:55:42 +0200]:

> Hi all,
>
> nattie, pollo and I were speaking and we thought it is a good time for
> us to hold a meeting to start planning for Debconf17 as it is only 3
> months away. The proposed meeting is on
>
> Wednesday 24 May 2017 @ 18:00 UTC
>
> Proposed agenda:
>
> * Logistics for DC17 (shipping, equipment, etc)
> * New Hardware [1]
> * Video Team Sprint
>
> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebConf/Video/VideoTeamDocs/NewVideoTeamHardware

I'll try to be there for the meeting. Here's some stuff that's been
bubbling up for thought.

= Hardware acquisitions =

Debian France has funds available on the Debian earmark, and can do
payment for purchases directly if the supplier handles wire transfers or
(French) chèques. With enough advance notice we might even be able to
handle credit card payments with a virtual credit card thingibob our
bank does.

We need to make sure to buy hardware only with appropriate cases for
shipping. *cough* https://c3voc.de/wiki/eventcases is kind of a dream.

The storage space at IRILL is limited (with the current setup we won't
be able to store shipping crates for three rooms), and access is
pretty inconvenient anyway (one just loves stairs between parking spaces
and elevators, or having to take three different elevators to get to the
first floor up, right?), we need to account for that.

I'm tempted to consider the rental of a small storage unit (there's a
bunch of options around Paris, with 8 cubic meters going around 100
euros per month), which would also avoid some of the SPOF issues.
However it might make more sense to consider storage in a place with a
higher density of active debianites (e.g. Cambridge, UK?). I do wonder
what C3VOC does in that regard.

= DebConf shipping =

FYI my plane tickets are for the following dates:

 - CDG 2017-07-28 13:35 UTC+02:00 -> MTL 2017-07-28 14:55 UTC-04:00 (AF344)
 - MTL 2017-08-13 22:05 UTC-04:00 -> CDG 2017-08-14 10:55 UTC+02:00 (AF349)

(Arrival on Friday before DebCamp, departure on Sunday after DebConf)

I'm okay with doing the "olasd shipping co." duties (doing the ATA
Carnet and carrying the stuff to/from the airports), as that's something
I have already done before and I know takes a bounded and reasonable
amount of time. Of course, I'd be happy if someone would find a shipping
company which handles temporary imports.

Prices for e.g. https://www.afklcargo.com/ could be worth investigating,
but ENOTIME on my end.

<3,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #78:
Yes, yes, its called a design limitation