Re: [Debconf-video] A couple of petitions. Syncing subs files and consistency in video.debian.org

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 09:39:02AM +0200, alberto fuentes wrote:
> > > Can I have the subtitles sync with debian-meetings?
> > what does this mean in practice, what needs to be done?
> manually erase any reminds of subs since the latest version with new name
> schema (mostly remove subtitles folders):

are you talking about debian-meetings or debian-meetings/debconf16 ?

debian-mettings... Right now, the best available version for every subtitle is the one on the subs repo with the new schema. wip and languages folders have been removed since they are now implied in the subtitle file name

thus, find -name '*srt' on the root and remove those folders and then sync the new ones

find -name '*srt' and remove those folders >
> copy files. Roughly:
>     git clone subtitles; cd subtitles; for i in */; do for j in $i*/; do cp
> $i$j/* ../$i$j/subs; done; done

I'd actually prefer a rsyncable location but this might work.

I separated the subtitles folder from everything else yesterday to ease the copy. In the subs repo now theres a subtitles folder that contains only subtitles with the following pattern: year/event/subtitles_files*.srt

In the past subs has been added to a sub folder on the event folder for no particular reason. Next to the video file gives them more visibility to what is actually available. On the other hand, one subtitles folder on the root is easier to sync. Whatever you feel is better is okay

rsync with -delete would be best for now due to the versioning on the file name

> Some doubts come to mind tho:
> - I wonder if there is a way for me to trigger this copy without bothering
> anybody

rather not

I will try to ping somebody on irc when this needs to be done again. Hopefully once a process is established, this will be quicker :)

> - versioning of the subs files are implied on the file name. That means,
> every new version the file name changes and old version needs to be
> removed. I asking about the better way to fix this. Some rsync with
> -delete?

I wouldnt do this. The filename should stay the same, no matter the
version. You have git for versioning.

I tested it and the versioning on the name is not a problem for the players to automatically recognize the language and the subtitle file if the are next to the video file. If this didnt work, this would had been a major concern for me not to do it

I was aware of the awkwardness when I decided to do it, but did it anyway because we need to keep in sync git and amara files. I also think is useful for users to be able to tell just by looking at the subtitle that theres a newer version available.

The other solution was to create a metadata file with the versioning, but I dont think it has any other advantages other than avoiding --delete when rsyncing the folders

Thanks for looking into this!

PS: The amara automatic syncing is almost finished btw